Wednesday, June 3, 2009

BORN TO BE AROUND CONTAINERS

As the Staten Island Ferry heads south and passes nearby the Statue of Liberty to the west, I am usually the only person on the east side of the boat, watching the container ports of Brooklyn pass by as the tourists snap their photos of the green lady.

A cargo ship going by always grabs my attention. I can easily picture myself wandering amongst the stacks of containers or watching the cranes pull them off in a port.


(Container port in Valparaiso, Chile)

I've been known to wander around the exterior fences of container yards and snap photos if I am lucky enough to get inside ones without tight security. I've been turned away from three different entrances to the container ports in Elizabeth, New Jersey. These facilities are some of the best in the world, but unfortunately are keeping a tight lock. Go figure, the Department of Homeland Security is doing its job keeping out the riff-raff like myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment