Thursday, June 11, 2009

RIO AMAZONAS

Most likely some six months after my journey down the Nile, I will be leaving Ecuador via the Río Napo and entering Peru, meeting up with the Amazon at the city of Iquitos. The Amazon is the second longest river in the world, but the world's largest in terms of volume. Get this: its river flow is larger than the total flow of the next eight rivers combined!

From Iquitos, Peru it is a 10-hour speedboat ride to the 3-way border post (Peru, Colombia, Brazil) at the frontier.

(Amazon boat. Photo courtesy of Wikipedia Commons/Pontanegra)

After re-entering Brazil, I will take a 4-7 day journey on a riverboat like the one above. I want to enjoy the river and avoid the crowds (HA!) for a few days, so I was thinking of "splurging" a full $80 or so for my own cabin, to rest, read, and write as much as possible. Who knows what I will actually be thinking when it comes time to take this trip though.

(Photo courtesy of Wikipedia Commons/Elias Bizannes)

I will alight from the boat in Manuas, Brazil, from where it is a overland journey north to the frontier of Venezuela and onward on my trip, with only the Mississippi left to round out the top four. With countless other rivers to meet, cross, and journey down, my mind will probably be a little further south than that.

1 comment:

  1. My friend!!!
    I just came by boat from Manaus to Leticia (Colombia) and it's a great trip! I really recommend you the hamocks.... you will have the chance to interact with the people! You will still have a LOT of time to read and relax!!! Try to learn some basic portuguese if you have the chance ;)

    ReplyDelete