Monday, June 8, 2009

長江 YANGTZE RIVER

As part of this journey I have decided to spend as much time as possible on the world's largest rivers, and will use at least the largest river in every continent as a significant route of transportation. This includes the world's four largest rivers (Nile, Amazon, Yangtze, Mississippi) and also the Danube in Europe.

The first of these great rivers that I will come into contact with is the Yangtze in China. I will cross its path a few times, but the first time will be in Yunnan province at Tiger Leaping Gorge. I hope to use the river as a means of transportation between places here in Yunnan, as well as later in Hubei and near Shanghai.


(Tiger Leaping Gorge. Photo courtesy of Wikipedia Commons)

Here at the upper reaches the river still runs fast through some amazing scenery. I think I will be able to take a boat from near Lijiang to Panzhihua where I can take the train north to Chengdu and say goodbye to the river until I see it again at the Three Gorges Dam.

Each of these rivers has a special meaning to its country and to the world. Locally, regionally, and globally, their significance is unquestionable.

More to come on the other four later this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment