Monday, May 18, 2009

ALL ABOARD!

This cargo ship business is not as simple as one might think. In the beginning I contacted four companies that work as brokers, sort of the travel agents for cruising by freighter. The trouble is that the ships do not view human cargo with as much importance as their regular cargo, so the terms and limitations are exceedingly frustrating for someone that wants to make a plan.



They wanted a deposit to give me dates. I wanted dates so that I could give a deposit. In the end, I was able to secure passage with a company that has more regular routes and times than others, with only a +/- 3 day window of departure. I was happy enough with this, and sent them the deposit, as well as some other forms showing that I am in working health and am willing to risk everything.

The health forms make sense. Most of the clients for this kind of travel are retired couples of ages where health issues can be of major concern out at sea without a doctor. The passenger "declaration" is the funny one. We are all used to filling out consent forms waving our right to sue in case of injury, etc., but this form is basically saying "Stay the hell away from us and don't expect a thing."



At any rate, the Hanjin Madrid is scheduled to leave Vancouver on (or around) the 21st of October. I plan to be in the city early in the morning on the 18th, so this should not be a problem. My first time in Vancouver was very pleasant but thoroughly too short, so I look forward to seeing a few more days worth.

The cargo ship is by far the most expensive aspect of any transportation I will be taking on this journey. The two-week trip costs $2,000, but includes full room and board.

No comments:

Post a Comment