Friday, May 29, 2009

THE CALIFORNIA ZEPHYR

Leaving once a day from Chicago's Union Station, Amtrak's California Zephyr passes through the heartland before reaching Denver and becoming one of the most scenic rides in North America.


(Image courtesy of Amtrak)

After a day in Chicago, I will board the Zephyr and head further west for two days. I can already vouch for the trip through the Sierra Nevadas and close to the Tahoe area, but I am also looking forward to the Rocky Mountains and desert plateau of Nevada, which I have driven through many times but never had the opportunity to cross through without at least one eye on the road.


(Photo courtesy of breakthroughgen.org)

Because I am ultimately trying to reach Vancouver, I will get off the train in Sacramento to meet up with a northbound train for Seattle. More on that later...

1 comment:

  1. Not having to watch out for tumbleweed while driving is always a good thing. On a drive from Oklahoma City to Denver, I kept thinking animals were darting onto the road in front of me. Talk about stress!

    ReplyDelete