Thursday, May 28, 2009

THE LAKE SHORE LIMITED TO CHICAGO

My first leg of the journey will start from Penn Station in New York City on Sunday, October 11th at just before 4pm. Will you be there to send me off?


(Image courtesy of Amtrak)

From NYC, it heads north to meet up with the main line that travels the entire distance from Boston to Chicago. I do not think that this leg of the journey holds inspiration views, but I am excited about it not only because it is how my trip begins, but also that it was the starting leg of Paul Theroux's epic train journey south in The Old Patagonian Express.

I'm booked on a simple recliner seat for this part of the journey, a ho-hum overnight trip of about 20 hours. In Chicago, my friend Joshua of Blindsided Books has spoken of planning some sort of author meet and greet at a small local bookstore to promote my upcoming book about Senegal and Mali and also speak about the plans for this new journey and book. I'm looking forward to (not to mention petrified of) this immensely.

I think the lack of amazing scenery will not be any disappointment, as there will be about one million emotions swimming through my mind for at least the first few hours. I doubt I sleep at all on this the first night of over 400.

2 comments:

  1. If you have the opportunity, it would be much better with incredibly more scenery for you to take Amtrak from New York City to Washington, DC and then catch Train # 29, the Capitol Limited that leaves daily at 4:05 pm for Chicago and travels through Harpers Ferry, Martinsburg and the Allegeny and Cumberland Mountains. Also the equipment used on this train is much nicer than on the Lake Shore Limited. The train arrived in Chicago the next morning at 8:40 am -- still plenty of time to catch the California Zephyr.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a recommendation I will definitely look into... thank you!

    ReplyDelete