Tuesday, July 14, 2009

ETHNIC MINORITY REPORT?

This trip in a way seems to be developing some sort of back-up theme. If Movement is the major of my studies, than ethnic minorities seem to be the minor, at least in Asia. As reported a couple times already, I plan to visit some communities within Vietnam, Laos, and China that are villages of some of the ethnic minorities there. There are also numerous autonomous regions in Siberia that warrant mention and are composed of significant minority populations. I've put together a list of those that I have decided to go to so far:

The Dong peoples in Tongdao county, Hunan and Guizhou provinces.
Hmong in Guizhou and Guangxi provinces.
Yao in Yunnan province.

Hmong, Tay, and Yao (Dao in Vietnamese) in Lào Cai province.

Hmong and Akha in Luang Namtha provinces.

Jewish Autonomous province.
Buryat Republic.

I will in the future go into more detail about my plans to visit these places in Siberia, including both of the places above. They each have unique stories and histories that are fascinating to learn about.

If anyone has suggestions for others along my route, please let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment