Monday, July 6, 2009

NORTHERN VIETNAM AND THE HMONG

A few weeks back I spoke about my plans for northern Vietnam and Laos briefly, and my intentions to visit villages of the Hmong people here. It is an attraction that has been fueled by reading and research, but overcome my usual boundary of not going on cultural tourism.

In the past, I have stayed away from this type of thing simply because I was unsure of how to think about it all. On one hand, these cultures are so different from mine and interesting that I of course would love to meet the people and see their lives outside of books. The reason I stayed away was the simple fact that the opportunity existed solely because of tourism, and would I really be benefitting myself or them by partaking?

(Black Hmong women. Photo courtesy of Wikipedia Commons/Bob Tubbs)

The more I prepare for something like this, the better I can feel about it all, and the more I can take out of it as well as give into it. In Vietnam for example, my visits to the far north mountains in villages surrounding Sa Pa, Lao Cai, and Bac Ha, I have read about some people employing the services of local Hmong guides that can take you on tours through the valleys and villages on your own. This will afford countless more opportunities to be of as little impact on life as possible, rather than as part of a daytrip or package tour that rolls through town and takes over a village for a brief time period before rolling out just as fast.

I'll be spending about three weeks in the region here, the majority of which will be in and around small Hmong (amongst other ethnic minorities) villages. It shouldn't cost much even to employ the highest-priced guide, so I plan to take advantage of this opportunity the best I can.

(Flower Hmong girls. Photo courtesy of Wikipedia Commons/Brian Snelson)

I do not have grand plans for any particular place I am visiting, nor any hypothesis I am trying to prove, but I do think the way a minority group is treated within a country tells a lot about its people. I hope I can see a little of this while there both in these villages and when speaking to majority populations when in transit or elsewhere.

2 comments:

  1. Very excited for you that you'll be going on this trip. I am Hmong myself and I would love to hear more of your experience. I've never visited any of these land that my grandparents and parents lived through and would want to go one day. Being a Hmong in America, whose never gone back to our old world, would love to hear the experiences of an American, like myself, who will be living amongst the world of my people. One day I may also have the same experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i came to hear about Hmong thru a girl i met in couchsurfing whilst she was traveling in Viet Nam last year.

    we became friends and when she finally visited me here in Philippines to surf my couch err room, io have learned more about hmong people both overseas (settled in US) and ones in Laos.

    i asked her how much hmong she thinks she still is, she said,'it's difficult to say how much hmoing i still am, being born and reared in Wisconsin, but my home still practice everything hmong, my fam speaks hmong, we keep our connection with hmong people in the midwest and we keep touch with our relatives still in Laos. i think i am both American and a Hmong'

    i'm just happy to learn more about Hmong :-)

    ReplyDelete